Coming Soon!Better Solutions to Grow Your Math Classroom
We’ve spent the year reading the latest math research, exploring best practices with teachers and students, and thinking hard about how we can make Symphony Math® a better solution for you. The result: some great changes and additions coming to both the Symphony Math student program and the all-new Data Dashboard. Here are some of the new features in store for the 2017/18 school year:
- New (and FAST!) Data Dashboard
- Visual Feedback for Every Task
- Video Support for Students and Teachers
- Growth Mindset Features
- Performance and Task Improvements
New (and FAST!) Data Dashboard
Educators need fast and easy access to data in order to guide instructional decisions. For 2017, we have built a new Data Dashboard from the ground up. Based on your feedback, the new Symphony Dashboard gives educators instant answers to their most common questions regarding Symphony Math:
- Which of my students are struggling, and what are my next steps?
- Which standards have my students mastered, and which ones are still in progress?
- Are my students using Symphony Math with fidelity?
- How can I track and celebrate progress with my students?
Visual Feedback for Every Task
Visual math, using models to represent mathematical ideas, is the primary strategy promoted in Symphony Math. For our next version, we want to extend our use of models so that students consistently see how models can justify a solution. Every task will end with a ‘justification’ sequence that checks a solution. Constructing with models? Great, let’s justify your solution! Completing a word problem? Let’s use a model to justify your solution:
Video Support for Students and Teachers
Math learning is cumulative. Each new skill that students master in Symphony Math adds to their foundation in number sense that they will use when they approach more complex topics. To help students think about these connections, the new versions of Symphony Math and the Symphony Math data dashboard will offer students and teachers video support for every Stage in our curriculum. These short videos will provide orientation to students at the beginning of their work, and reflection prompts when they master content. For teachers, videos will provide a way for them to see how a Stage’s skills fit into the overall picture of math development for their students.
Growth Mindset Features
We love Growth Mindset. We even started a newsletter this year (The Symphony Buzz™ ) to show how Growth Mindset can be incorporated into your math classroom. And for 2017/18, we are adding features to our Student Program to help promote these ideas:
- Recognition that mistakes are an important part of learning
- Strategy suggestions for struggling students
- Less emphasis on timed mastery (2x time allowed for Mastery Round facts)
- Celebration of grit and perseverance at the end of Task Groups
Performance and Task Improvements
We listen to you. During the 2016/17 school year we collected feedback from many teachers and students, and we’ll be addressing some of your top concerns in our upcoming release:
- No more red indicators for incorrect solutions. Our new solution uses icons that indicate points, not penalties.
- Better communication of Hint button tries and branching status.
- Tasks now allow commutative property for addition and multiplication.
- Number line much easier to use and reset.
- Many small tweaks and task improvements in every stage.